No matter if your market is worldwide or a southern Illinois business, there are many benefits to locating your business in Carmi
Tax incentives for southern Illinois business
The City of Carmi has established a Tax Increment Financing (TIF) Redevelopment Area to build southern Illinois businesses. The TIF program provides for funds to help pay for defined Redevelopment Project Costs, including infrastructure improvements, which will assist new private development and enhance property values in the general area of the TIF.
Carmi and parts of unincorporated White County are within an Illinois Enterprise Zone. Incentives for starting or expanding a southern Illinois business include sales tax exemption on building materials, property tax abatements, job tax credits and low interest loans.
Carmi has long been known as a business leader in the area, from its early days as a frontier town to the boom days of the twentieth century. It remains a place where business is welcome with a willing workforce able to grow it. Along with local and state incentives, and as an established service industry and close to major transportation routes, we believe Carmi deserves a second look. You might be surprised what you can find.
Contact the Chamber of Commerce or call 618-382-8118 for more information.
Carmi Demographics for southern Illinois business
- Population: 5,422
- Housing: 2,667 units
- Geography: 2.53 square miles
- Number of households with married couples living together: 49.7%
- Number of households with children under 18: 23.8%
- Average household size: 2.16
- Average family size was: 2.78
- Under the age of 18: 20.4%; 18 to 24: 8.2%; 25 to 44: 23.7%; 45 to 64: 21.7%; 65+: 25.9%
- Median age: 43
- For every 100 females there were 84.4 males
- For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.7 males
- Median household income: $25,667
- Median family income: $32,456
- Median income males: $30,735
- Median income females: $16,693