The regularly scheduled council meeting was held on Tuesday, December 15, 2020, at 5:30 p.m. via phone conference.
Prior to opening the council meeting, Mayor Pollard asked Alderman Winkleman to give the invocation.
Mayor Pollard presided with the following Aldermen present: Steve Winkleman, Mark W. Blake, Tracy Nelson, James Totten, Jeremy Courson, Sheila Jo Headlee, Mike Knight, and Doug Hays.
The minutes from the December 1, 2020, council meeting were presented. Alderman Totten made a motion to approve the December 1, 2020, council meeting minutes as presented. Alderman Courson seconded the motion. The motion carried on roll call by each Alderman present via phone conference answering “yes.”
For Council Consideration, discussion, and possible approval
- Approval of the 2021 Library Budget: Mayor Pollard presented the Library Budget for 2021. Alderman Totten made a motion to approve the 2021 budget. The motion was seconded by Alderman Winkleman. The motion carried on roll call by each Alderman present via phone conference answering “yes.”
- Reappointment of Brent Hammel to the Police Commission Board. Mayor Pollard stated Brent Hammel’s term was up for the Police Commission Board and Mr. Hammel would like to continue to serve on the Police Commission Board. Alderman Hays made a motion to reappointment Brent Hammel to the Police Commission Board for the term beginning January 1, 2021 and ending December 31, 2021. The motion was seconded by Alderman Courson. The motion carried on roll call by each Aldermen present via phone conference answering “yes.”
Reports and/or updates from Mayor Pollard
The new committees have been formed for the City of Carmi/Light and Water Departments. They are as follows:
- Airports & Buildings: Chairman Tracy Nelson. Co-Chairman James Totten
- Finance & Budget: Chairman Sheila Headlee. Co-Chairman Steve Winkleman
- Fire Department & EMA: Chairman Jeremy Courson. Co-Chairman Sheila Headlee
- Library: Steve Winkleman
- Light & Water Adm., Light Plant & Electric Distribution: Chairman: Doug Hays. Co-Chairman
- Police & Animal Control: Chairman Doug Hays. Co-Chairman – Mark Blake
- Swimming Pool – Cemetery & Parks: Chairman Steve Winkleman. Co-Chairman Mike Knight
- Street & Alley and City Garage: Chairman Jeremy Courson. Co-Chairman Tracy Nelson
- Water & Sewer Department: Chairman Mark Blake. Co-Chairman James Totten.
- Welding Department: Mark Blake.
Mayor Pollard stated it had been an honor to team up with the Carmi Christmas Elves, LLC this year. “We have purchased an ice-skating rink with skates with Elves this year to add to the attraction of the Christmas Lights of Hope for more outdoor family activities. You can check out the Christmas Lights of Hope’s Facebook page for dates and times.
This Saturday, December 19, 2020, at 5:00 p.m. there will be a free drive-in movie at the Elastec/Martin & Bayley parking lot. It will be a double feature beginning with “The Star” starting at 5:30 p.m. and the “Polar Express” will follow at approximately 7:30 p.m. We hope everyone comes out and enjoys the movies.
Finally, I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Reports from Standing Committees
Aldermen Courson stated today the Fire Department received the washer from the grant which was received and the dryer should arrive tomorrow.
At 5:45 p.m. Alderman Headlee made a motion to adjourn. The motion was seconded by Alderman Courson. The motion carried on roll call by each Alderman present answering “yes.”
Cynthia J. Attebury, City Clerk
Jeff Pollard, Mayor