The Carmi City Council met Monday, December 16, 2013 at 5:30 p.m. in the Council Room of the Municipal Building, 225 East Main Street, Carmi, Illinois.
Prior to opening the Council meeting, Mayor Pollard asked Alderman Steve Winkleman to give the invocation. The prayer was followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
Mayor Pollard presided with the following Aldermen present: Steve Winkleman, Mark W. Blake, Keith Davis, Kenny Carter, Sheila Jo Headlee, Doug Hays, Jack Lamont and Mike Knight.
Minutes for the December 4, 2013 Council meeting were presented. A motion was made by Alderman Hays and seconded by Alderman Lamont to approve the minutes as presented. The motion carried on roll call by each Alderman answering “yes.”
Mayor Pollard presented Mr. Keith Botsch to update Council on the financial state of the City of Carmi for the month of November 2013. Mr. Botsch presented the following:
- General Fund: Positive excess revenues over expenditures of $34,328.00 year to date.
- Motor Fuel Tax: Brought in $139,654.00 in eleven months and spent $197,214.00, leaving a deficit of $57,560.00.
- Library Fund: Deficit of $291.00
- Light & Water: Utility side operating excess revenues over expenditures of $270,547.00. Add back depreciation and a $350,000.00 transfer and a $350,000.00 grant there is a positive $80,000.00 of excess revenues over expenditures.
- Electric Fund: Excess revenues over expenditures $239,593.00. After depreciation and $350,000.00 transfer there is a $456,000.00 deficit. Realistically it has been a good year for the Electric Department even with a milder summer.
- Water Fund: Deficit of $141,000.00, after $91,000.00 in depreciation. Deficit of $50,000.00 after interest cost for the year. Realistically it has been a pretty good year for the Water Department. Revenue was lower this year, but all other areas are on target for the year.
- Sewer Fund: Excess revenues over expenditures of $91,000.00.
- Building Fund: has no revenue with a balance of $41,000.00.
Alderman Headlee noted that the foreman have been instrumental in keeping the budget on target for the year.
November 2013 financial reports for the City of Carmi and Carmi Light and Water Departments were presented for approval. Motion made by Alderman Winkleman and seconded by Alderman Headlee to approve the financial reports as presented. The motion carried on roll call by each Alderman answering “yes.”
Vendor invoices for the City of Carmi and Carmi Light & Water Departments payable in December 2013 were presented for approval. No comments or questions were expressed by Alderman regarding the vendor invoices. Motion by Alderman Hays and seconded by Alderman Lamont to approve and authorize payment of the December 2013 vendor invoices. The motion carried on roll call by each Alderman answering “yes.”
Mr. Keith Botsch, City of Carmi CPA presented Ordinance No. 1472, the Annual Property Tax Levy for the fiscal year January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013. It was noted that there would be a 5% rate increase (which is actually the minimum without holding a truth in taxation public hearing) in the Annual Property Tax Levy for 2013 to provide the Police Pension Fund, due to the low interest rates that the fund has been receiving over the past few years. Following is a table indicating tax levy amounts for 2012 and 2013:
Mr. Botsch noted that the state of Illinois lowered the assessment for property tax for the Police Pension Contribution for 2013 from $236,802 to $208,502, which is a 28,300 decrease.
A motion was made by Alderman Winkleman and seconded by Alderman Carter to approve Ordinance No. 1472 as presented. The motion carried on roll call by each Alderman answering “yes.”
Mayor Pollard then presented Ordinance No. 1473, Abating the 2013 Tax Levy for Payment of General Obligation Bonds, Series 2011A (Electric system) and Certificate of Abatement. This is required so that no tax levy is assessed for payments on the electrical bond issue. A motion was made by Alderman Headlee and seconded by Alderman Knight to approve Ordinance No. 1473 and Certificate of Abatement as presented. The motion carried on roll call by each Alderman answering “yes.”
Mayor Pollard presented Ordinance No. 1474, Abating the 2013 Tax Levy for Payment of General Obligation Bonds, Series 2011B (Waterworks) and Certificate of Abatement. This is required so that no tax levy is assessed for payments on the waterworks bond issue. A motion was made by Alderman Winkleman and seconded by Alderman Carter to approve Ordinance No. 1474 and Certificate of Abatement as presented. The motion carried on roll call by each Alderman answering “yes.”
Reports and/or updates from Mayor Pollard
- Mayor Pollard thanked the City employees who put in long hours and worked very hard removing the snow; he had several citizens’ comments and thanking the City for the snow removal on Main Street and the sidewalks.
- The Mayor noted that Kieffer Brothers have completed the first phase of the water project at Industrial Park and in the spring the rest of that project will begin.
- The Mayor also reminded the Council and public that there would be another meeting to be held at City of Carmi Council Room on January 17th at 7:00 p.m. to plan for the upcoming City of Carmi Bicentennial Celebration and that everyone was welcome.
- The Mayor thanked all those that voted for the City of Carmi’s employee of the year and he would announce the winner at the City’s Christmas party.
- The Mayor reminded the public that Carmi has a variety of unique shops to purchase Christmas gifts for that special person in your life.
- The Mayor thanked Barb Kerney for all of her long and faithful work at Bean’s Jewelers over the years, she will be greatly missed.
- The Mayor gave notice that the City offices and Light & Water offices will close at 1:00 p.m. on Friday the 20th, be open regular time on Monday the 23rd, closed on Christmas Eve, Tuesday the 24th and Christmas Day, Wednesday the 25th, back to regular hours on the 26th, 27th and the 30th, will close at noon on New Year’s Eve, Tuesday the 31st, be closed New Year’s Day, Wednesday the 1st and back to regular hours on Thursday the 2nd of January
- The Mayor thanked Steve Norris for bringing coffee and to Richard Cook for bringing sandwich tray’s to the Council meeting.
- The Mayor gave notice to the press that the Water bills may be slightly off, due to ice and snow on the meter lids.
Reports from Standing Committees
Alderman Knight thanked all of the Salvation Army bell ringers that participated from the City of Carmi on Friday the 13th. Mr. Knight noted that he would have some quotes for playground equipment at future Council meeting.
Alderman Lamont commented that the Street Department did a good job removing snow, he had been to another community during the snow and Carmi looked exceptional compared to that community. Mr. Lamont noted that the compost site would no longer be open on Saturday’s, but citizens could get a key from the Light & Water office if they needed to use the site.
Business or Comments from Visitors
Motion by Alderman Knight and seconded by Alderman Carter to go into closed session for the purpose of discussing personnel and property issues with no action to follow. The motion carried on roll call by each Alderman answering “yes.”
At 5:55 p.m. council went into closed session.
Motion by Alderman Knight and seconded by Alderman Winkleman to return to open session and adjourn. The motion carried on roll call by each Alderman answering “yes.”
At 6:57 p.m., the council adjourned.
Brian K. Allen, City Clerk
Jeff Pollard, Mayor