The Carmi City Council met Tuesday, March 1, 2022, at 5:30 p.m. in the Council Room of the Municipal Building, 225 East Main Street.
Prior to opening the council meeting, Mayor Pollard asked Alderman Winkleman to give the invocation followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
Mayor Pollard presided with the following Aldermen in attendance: Steve Winkleman, Tracy Nelson, Mark W. Blake, James Totten, Jeremy Courson, Mike Knight, Sheila Headlee and Doug Hays.
The minutes from the February 15, 2022 council meeting were presented. Motion was made by Alderman Courson and seconded by Alderman Knight to approve the minutes as presented. The motion carried on roll call by each Alderman present answering “yes.”
David Coston, City Engineer, addressed the City Council regarding the City of Carmi’s Power System Planning for 2022 and the future. Mr. Coston updated the council on the many changes involved with both IMEA and American Public Power Association (APPA) and their requirements. The long-term projects for the power system have been discussed in the past with upgrades totaling over $1.515 million. These including the following:
- North/South feeder repairs ($100K).
- Bradshaw substation ($335K).
- City Loop Extension ($300K)
- Sixth Street substation breaker replacement ($30K)
- Power Plant upper bus upgrade ($550K)
- Distribution system resilience plan ($200K)
These projects will be addressed according to urgency and need in the following months/years.
For council consideration, discussion, and possible approval
- TIF Façade Agreement with Southern Illinois Trading and Supply and SITAS Holding, LLC for $5,000.00 for the 604 East Main Street and 610 East Main Street properties. The current buildings will be painted with new signage. Alderman Headlee made a motion to approve the TIF Façade Agreement with a second by Alderman Courson. The motion carried on roll call by each Aldermen present answering “yes.”
- Mayor Pollard requested to move the March 15, 2022 meeting to March 22, 2022 due to the time constraints for the bond approval. Alderman Knight made the motion to move the March 15th meeting to March 22nd. The motion was seconded by Alderman Hays. The motion carried on roll call by each Aldermen present answering “yes.”
Reports from Standing Committees
Alderman Headlee stated she had received calls from both the Norris City Fire Department as well as the Crossville Fire Department commending the Carmi Fire Department with their recent assistance in two different fires.
At 6:15 p.m. Alderman Headlee made a motion to adjourn. Motion was seconded by Alderman Courson. The motion carried on roll call by each Alderman present answering “yes.”
Cynthia J. Attebury, City Clerk
Jeff Pollard, Mayor